Apple is set to officially release watchOS 7 later this year, which will bring several new features to the popular smartwatch. While the company typically doesn’t release a public beta for upcoming Apple Watch software, things are playing out differently this time and it can be tested by anyone with a compatible watch.
This article is going to break down the steps you need to take in order to download watchOS 7 public beta onto your Apple Watch. However, keep in mind that this is pre-release software, so you should expect bugs and a somewhat bumpy experience at times. This beta is for the hardcore smartwatch users who simply can’t wait to see what’s in store later this year.
First of all, you need to make sure that you have iOS 14 beta on the iPhone that is paired with your Apple Watch. Once that’s done, take the following steps:
- Open the Apple Beta Software Program website on your iPhone.
- Select the chevron in the top-right corner of the page and then select Sign In from the menu and enter your details.
- A Guide for Public Betas screen should then appear. When it does, select the watchOS tab, and then navigate to Get Started and then to Enroll your Apple Watch.
- Navigate and select Download Profile.
- Onscreen instructions will appear to install the watchOS 7 public beta.
- Select Allow to download the beta profile to your iPhone.
- Select Install in the top-right corner of the screen.
- You will then be shown consent information, and will need to select Install twice more.
- If a restart prompt appears select it (it may do it on its own).
- Launch the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Navigate to General, and then Software Update.
- watchOS 7 should appear to download, so place your Apple Watch on its charger and select Download and Install.
That should be all you have to do in order to have the watchOS 7 public beta up and running on your Apple Watch. You can expect to be able to try out new things like sleep tracking, new watch faces, watch face sharing, new workout types and more. An official release date for the full watchOS 7 release has not been revealed, but we’ll bring you more information as soon as it becomes available.