Remember Lara Croft? Not the Angelina Jolie version, but the original computer game character? Even though Croft first appeared on our screens back in 1996, it is still a famous character today.
There are plenty of other video game characters that started small, and little by little, they entranced all of us. Some video games characters became so iconic you can encounter them in movies, comics, and even casino games featured on venues such as the Grande Vegas Casino.
Now it is time to ask you – which characters do you remember most? Which video games left an impression on you?
Check out our list, and find out if your favourite video games characters are on there!
Top 5 Characters in Video Games
- Mario – Even if you are not a fan of the game itself, you’ve probably heard about Mario at one point or another. The character was introduced to the world as “Jumpman” in Donkey King – an arcade game released in 1981. In this game, he was a carpenter. But later on, the creators decided that the role of a plumber suited him better.
This Italian character became a part of today’s culture, after being featured in more than 200 games. The franchise itself sold more than 500 million copies of the game worldwide, which makes it the best-selling video game franchise of all times. Surprising? Not so much.
- Lara Croft – Since the first Tomb Raider game was released in 1996, Lara Croft became a big part of our lives. It was the first time a female protagonist got such a complex background story and such a powerful depiction.
With 12 games in the original series and more than a dozen mobile and spin-off games, there is no denying the fact that people love this character. Croft is one of those characters that evolved with time, and in the 2013 game reboot, Croft lost the original unrealistic look and became a real source for women empowerment.
- Pac-Man – Although not necessarily a real character, Pac-Man started as part of a simple game and moved on to become an iconic symbol. The first Pac-Man game was an arcade game, released in Japan back in 1980.
Nobody knew how important the small, yellow circle is going to be, but stranger things happen every day! It only shows that people don’t need a complex plot to have a good time. A memorable character and a fun game are enough to make history.
- Master Chief – When the first game in the Halo franchise came out in 2001, it became immediately clear that Master Chief is a popular character. Master Chief Petty Officer John-117 is one of the coolest characters you will ever encounter – a super-soldier, trained to become a weapon from an early age.
Gamers fell in love with the prospect of portraying such a strong, mysterious character, which is evident by the number of games in which you can encounter the protagonist. Nowadays, you can’t go to a game convention without running into a Master Chief costume, which only serves to show that people aren’t inclined to forget him soon.
- Sonic – The demon hedgehog first appeared on our screens in 1991, and since then it became a cultural icon. Back then, Sega needed a strong and memorable character that will overshadow Nintendo’s Mario, and they did a good job of that.
Sonic was the exact opposite of Mario – fast, mischievous, and vibrant, which is why people loved him so much. The series sold more than 350 million copies at the time, and even though it is not as popular today, people still remember the character quite fondly.
With hundreds of games released every year, there is no way you’ll remember every single character. However, there are some characters that you can’t forget!
Have any of your favorite video games characters made it on our list?