One week after the release of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, a series of patches have been rolled out for the game’s various platforms. PC got an update last week and another two days ago, bringing it to version 1.0.4. PS4 has just received the 1.0.3 patch in EU, adding a bunch of fixes intended to improve the game’s stability and performance. The Xbox One version of that patch is on its way, and is set to fix the uneven framerate performance by locking it at 30fps. It’s currently waiting for Microsoft to finish putting it through its certification process, but it should be out shortly.
After addressing concerns about The Witcher 3 going through a big graphical downgrade since its E3 trailer two years ago, CD Projekt RED is now facing complaints that the recent patches are causing graphics problems. The most notable complaint is that, since patch 1.0.3, characters and objects “pop” into the screen at seemingly random times. The problem is demonstrated in the video below, and appears to be an issue with some bizarre character draw distances. This is an issue that I have run into a couple of times while playing the game myself.
Other issues involve floating objects, missing textures, and framerate drops. Another complaint is that CD Projekt RED promised to include an update that would allow users to tweak their graphics settings manually through .ini files, but it has still not arrived yet.
Here’s the full list of what patch 1.0.4 was supposed to fix:
- Rebinding of all keys is now available after switching on the ‘Unlock Bindings’ option in the Options\Key Bindings submenu.
- Corrects an issue in the dialogue system that might have caused dialogue looping in certain scenes.
- Fixes an issue with incorrect behavior of Wild Hunt warriors after they were affected by the Axii Sign.
- Corrects a bug that caused spontaneous combustion of gas clouds.
- 1280 x 720 resolution is now properly displayed as a valid resolution option.
- Fixes boat stuttering in cutscenes.
- Texture rendering quality for the high and ultra presets has been improved.
- Further improvements made in NVIDIA Hairworks performance.
- A few additional gwent cards are now available in the Prologue area.
- Fixes an issue where users with usernames incorporating non-Latin characters were unable to import saves from The Witcher 2.
- Includes a series of overall stability and performance improvements.
- Fixes issues related to alt + tabbing and minimizing the game window.
- Updates the game icon.
- Enlarges the loot pop-up window in the UI.
- Fixes an issue where, in certain circumstances, the comparison window could extend beyond the game borders in the UI.
- Upgrading items included in gear sets no longer destroys rune sockets on said items.
- Introduces small tweaks in the UI for gwent.
- Corrects some missing translations in localized versions.