Mercy mains rejoice, your time is finally here thanks to the latest Overwatch patch.
After weeks of testing on the PTR, Overwatch patch 1.15 has dropped and it’s made some huge changes.
DVA and Mercy are seeing the biggest changes, which have been detailed below.
- Defense Matrix
- Energy drain doubled (uptime for this ability has been reduced to about two seconds)
- Defence Matrix recharge rate increased by 25%.
- D.Va can now use her Primary Fire (Fusion Cannons) while flying.
- New ability: Micro Missiles
- D.Va launches a salvo of small missiles that explode on impact, dealing damage in a small radius around them.
- Micro Missile damage reduced by 25%.
- Resurrect (former Ultimate)
- Ability now targets a single player, instead of all players in a certain radius
- Radius reduced to 5 meters and cooldown is 30 seconds
- Mercy is no longer invulnerable while Resurrect is active
- Valkyrie (New Ultimate – Enhances Mercy’s weapons and abilities for 20 seconds and yup, she can fly)
- Mercy’s healing and damage boost beams now affect all allies near the targeted teammate, and the staff’s effective range has been extended
- Granted infinite ammo but as of a more recent nerf, no longer gains an increased fire rate or damage boost
- Guardian Angel has increased range and movement speed
- Resurrect cooldown is instantly reset when Valkyrie is activated
- Mercy gains the ability to fly freely with increased movement speed
- Regeneration passive is no longer interrupted when Mercy takes damage
The changes for DVA seem to be focused on making her a much more offensive character, able to move quickly and deliver better burst damage.
Mercy on the other hand is now less reliant on hiding and waiting for a 5-man rez, with an ultimate that encourages her to stay in the fight and continue to heal or deal ‘surprising amounts of damage’, depending on how you play.
These changes to the healer have now made her much more effective at pushing, allowing her to effectively bring a teammate back every 30 seconds or so.
Whether this will make her a ‘must-have meta pick in competitive is yet to be seen but early impressions would suggest so.
Aside from big changes to DVA and the Mercy re-work, this patch also sees the release of Junkertown.
Junkertown is an escort map set in the Austrailian Outback, recently seen in the animated short Blizzard released. Set in the ruins of an Omnic factory, the ‘town’ is the creation of a group of Mad-Max esque characters that includes Junkrat and Roadhog.
This patch comes prior to another free weekend of Overwatch for both console and PC players. Running from September 22 til September 26, players will be able to try all of the maps and game modes. Blizzard have said progress can also be carried over if free players buy the game, which is nice.